Wednesday, March 23, 2011

So Long, Log Cabin!


Purim came and went. We went to the 2 required readings of the Book of Esther Saturday eve and Sunday morn. Afterwards on Sunday, DD#2 and I hitched up Rocky to help deliver the Purim baskets (mishloach manot in Hebrew) in our neighborhood. Being I am in my year of mourning for my mother, I can't accept gifts, including mishloach manot, so I hid in the house while DD answered the doorbell. We had a delicious Purim feast (commemorating the feast Esther made for Haman and the King, at which she dropped the dime on Haman) at DD#1's in-laws, then headed to an engagement party for one of my nephews. At which party the hostess (brother's future in-law) wondered why nobody was eating. Clearly she wasn't at the in-laws for her feast or she'd know.

Feast menu:
Strawberry-rhubarb compote
Beef leek soup (like an onion soup)
Brisket
Sweet and sour chicken breasts
Pickled green beans
Sweet potatoes
More stuff I can't remember
Salad to cleanse palates
Peach cobbler and non-dairy ice cream pie
The ubiquitous Purim pastries known as hamataschen
Assorted wines, liquors, liqueurs, other beverages

Who could eat? I wasn't hungry until Tuesday!

I took SapphireBlue's advice (thanks so much!) and bound off what bit of Log Cabin I did. It's big enough to be a security blankie.

I started another blanket (all these ladies birthin', must be in the water), this one of pure wool (vintage Brunswick SheepsWool), also knit on the diagonal. If I'm going to make a big thing, at least I'll knit it using a technique I like. A diagonal knit is a technique I like. Here's the yummy wool I'm using.
Bisque SheepsWool Heathers

And the latest development in the world of knitting knews is that, at loooong last, The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons Hiatt is coming out with a new edition later this year. Cue the fireworks! This book has been known to go for $5000 (so say some folks on Ravelry). The usual price I see it for is between $100 and $200, but still -! I preordered, got free shipping, and will not have spent more than $30. Now all I have to do is knit so as not to be checking on my Amazon order every second until it's in my hot little hands.

4 comments:

fleegle said...

I am fascinated by Hyatt's revision--have you seen an old edition? Is it worth getting?

Experimental Knitter said...

I never saw the original, only heard the tales.
From people who have taken classes with Hiatt and seen advanced chapters,it is supposed to be a complete revision, and the new one is over 100 pages longer (but may be a different page size accounts for part of it). I pre-ordered from Amazon because I think it will be worth it.

Donna Lee said...

I think it will be worth it, too. I've seen that book go for exhorbitant prices (for a book about knitting!)
I had heard rumors about a rerelease and now I'll have to preorder it.

The food list for the feast sounds delicious. I enjoy your posts about the holy days since I am ignorant of most of them (what they mean and why they exist) and it encourages me to look them up so I learn something new, always a good thing.

Experimental Knitter said...

Thanks, Donna Lee. Stay tuned because Passover is coming in less than a month- and that holiday is hugely focused on food!