Monday, August 6, 2007

Everything Old is New Again


Saturday the Fall 2007 Vogue Knitting arrived. It's the 25th anniversary issue, and it is packed with patterns. Including a look-back at some of the greatest VK patterns, rewritten for yarns available today. And look what made it to the short-list:
Also on the short list: Deborah Newtons' hauntingly-beautiful toque and gloves from Fall 1987, the Aran issue, one of my all-time favorite issues. Interesting that both of these were reworked in greens from their original Aran colors. Looks like EFA is more fitted this time around too, not such a tent (good, that's how I made mine). I must say that I prefer the Deborah Newton in the original though. Maybe I like the pose of the model or the angle of the toque or the way it was shot with the model wearing other Aran pieces.
Just love this cover.

The rose-red lace hoodie cardi (pattern 40) in the mag grabbed DD#1's attention; she wants it instead of the Gita Schrade cabled cardi I started for her a couple of months ago. Good thing I spent most of the summer working on socks instead of on her cardi, not much to rip out. Hers will be seafoam green; she refuses to wear reds and roses, though they flatter her immensely.

Just had to add 2 thoughts on the VK Fall 2007 to this post: 1) Did anyone else notice that the "Old Guard" interviewed for the issue consisted of innovative if not revered designers? And the "New Guard" consisted of commentators, rather than designers? Seriously, I would have put Elsebeth Lavold and a bunch of others into the New Guard before I put, well, I won't mention names. Yes they are for the most part enjoyable to read, but seriously, how much knitting did you learn from them? How many of their patterns are on your needles now? 2) Back to the Old Guard. It struck me as disingenuous for one of their number to rant and complain about what constitutes intellectual property, when that particular OG personage has gone out of his/her way to shut down any and all internet discussion of his/her genius as a designer! And has gone to extremes to lock up all intellectual rights to his/her native island, including any references to said island in the context of knitting, even filing lawsuits in courts. And has steadfastly refused to republish books of patterns, even though they fetch mighty big prices at auction and from booksellers; and has gone so far as to shut down auctions by individuals looking to sell books no longer wanted or needed. Just a little disingenuous. Now I believe in intellectual property; I have to! I file patents on my "scientific inventions" when warranted; I do not download music or films illegally (and have been known to sound off to my daughters' friends on why it is a crime to do so)- I actually count how many CDs I burn off an iTunes download! But extremes are extremes, and much as I love this OG's designs, I don't relish the extremes to wish he/she has gone to make sure that the designs can be knit only with yarns purchased from such and such firm, rather than with the lovely worsted wool I have now.

1 comment:

fleegle said...

I didn't much care for the issue, but that's because I am a small person and most of those designs would go around me twice. The pom poms on that hat would cover my face.

I was especially disappointed by the interviews. I would have chosen different people, but then, I think everyone has their own favorites.

I loved the interview with Barbara Walker, even if she doesn't knit anymore. Kinda funnny, that.