Monday, January 21, 2008

Knitting and the Desert



That's my DH clowning around on the San Andreas Fault (he likes to live dangerously sometimes) at 1000 Palms Oasis, wearing a vest I designed and made years ago of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted. One color is a purple and the other is a teal. Funny, I don't think it's one of my best or even better efforts, but DH loves it (and he certainly is not a fan of purple!). He was smart. Not like me:



See me shivering on Keys Lookout in Joshua Tree National Park (at a mile above sea level) blowing, blowing, gone! Wish I had thought to bring some of my warm knits along- I'm wearing a lined rain coat over 2 jackets and still freezing. But who knew we'd have wind chills close to zero deg F? In Palm Desert it was about 80 deg F and folks were swimming!
Travel nugget: if you are ever out in the Palm Springs area of SoCal, do go to the Coachella Preserve at Thousand Palms. It's free (they ask for a $3 to $5 donation per car), it's unique (a waterfall in the desert- how cool is that?), and it's fun. Easy hikes, and the temps were easily 10 to 15 deg cooler in the oases than out in the sun.

No comments: